KW to KVA & Watts Conversion Calculator Online
KW to KVA Overview
To perform the conversion of Kilowatt “KW” to kilovolt-ampere “KVA” the following formula is used:
Formula: KVA= KW/ PF
The calculation is made up of three elements that are KW, KVA, and PF.
• Kilovolt-ampere: it is an apparent power since it indicates the amount of total power of a system and depends on the power factor.
This power is the union of real power and another component that is the reactive power; these powers are what give rise to the Kilovolt-ampere and generate the operation of the inductive equipment.
• Kilowatt: it is an active power since the amount of energy becomes a useful output, which makes it real power.
• Power factor: is the electrical efficiency expressed between 0 and 1; the closer the power factor is to 1, the more efficient the KW will become in KVA.
Step by step to perform the calculation
1. The first step is to locate the data in the technical data sheets of the equipment; the data to look for are the Kilowatts and the power factor.
2. The power factor can vary according to the datasheet, the power factor can vary from 0.7 to 1 and the most common is a factor of 0.8.
3. We substitute the data of the formula KVA = KW / PF
4. To obtain the Kilovolt-Ampere we proceed to divide the kilowatts by the power factor
5. Ready you already have the result in KVA
To obtain this calculation you should very well review the table of contents of the equipment, it is very easy to perform this calculation because all the data is known and indicated in the technical sheets, you just have to spend time reviewing each element well and taking note.
This calculation can be done manually or with the help of a calculator, you can also use calculators to convert directly from kilowatt to kilovolt-ampere that you can get on different web pages.
Disclaimer: Every time, it comes to electric and power calculations, it is a good idea to get advice from an expert for your specific situation. The calculations in this web page are for general estimations only.